RAFLOSTI – a multimedia performance workshop as a part of the electronic art festival RAFLOST.
Iceland Electronic Arts Society (Raflistafélag Íslands) in collaboration with the Iceland Academy of the Arts organizes the RAFLOSTI workshop.
The RAFLOSTI workshop is open for all nationalities and is free of charge.
The workshop takes place in Reykjavik on May 17th – 21th, where participants will work together in groups, leading to a performance. During this week, lectures and performances on the RAFLOST festival (14th – 22th of May) will be available to workshop participants.
The workshop is intended for students of performance based art (real-time art): music, dance, video, experimental theater, multimedia etc as well as professional artists of any age. The goal is to provide a platform for artists of different diciplines to work together using their domain-specific skills in a multimedia environment.
17.5.2010 – 21.5.2009
max 30 participants
Intermediate / Advanced
Áki Asgeirsson, teacher of Electronic Music and New Media, Iceland Academy of the Arts.
Workshop Group Leaders
Sigrún Harðardóttir, Ríkharður H. Friðriksson, Margrét Elísabet Ólafsdóttir, Jesper Pedersen, Áki Ásgeirsson.
Participants get acquainted with the technical possibilities of connecting different art forms. Special emphasis will be on electronic and non-electronic interactivity and multimedia. Groups of 5-6 people of different backgrounds will work together with guidance from the workshop leaders in creating new works performed on the RAFLOST festival.
Content and methods
Participants will be presented with various tools for controlling, monitoring and connecting areas of different art forms. Workshop leaders will discuss relationships of different media and introduce their own work and multimedia performances by known artists. The leaders will also provide technical and aesthetic assistance if needed. Participants will share their knowledge of different fields within the group and contribute to the groups documentation of the new work.
Make a short description of your group’s work during RAFLOSTI, including pictures and discussion of ideas and technology used. This material should be uploaded to the Raflost webpage.
Students of the Iceland Academy of the Arts will get 2 ECTS for their participation.
All participants will get a certificate stating their participation upon completing the workshop.
Send mail to email@example.com explaining your motivation to participating in the workshop before march 21th. The email should include a short CV.
- Background knowledge in music, visual art, media, theater or other art forms.
- Interest in cross-disciplinary work.
- Ability to work in a collaborative and international group.
Some skills in new media tools and technologies are beneficial.
- 21.3.2010 Application deadline
- 28.3.2010 Information about the selection
- 16.5.2010 Arrival to Reykjavik, accommodation etc.
- 17-21.5.2010 The course itself
- 21.5.2010 Final performance
- 22.5.2010 Documentation and review.
- 23.5.2010 Departure from Reykjavík
Visiting participants will have to arrange their own accommodation.
Please bring with you:
- If possible, a laptop computer and audiovisual equipment (digital camera, video camera, sound recording equipment, sensors, etc.)
- Good ideas
- Ability to work and live in an international group
The workshop is free of charge for all selected participants. The RAFLOST festival or the Iceland Academy of the Arts cannot pay for travel and accommodation for international participants. However, there are various funds that might support participation in the RAFLOSTI workshop. Participants have to be prepared to pay for meals or cook on their own.
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- RAFLOST – www.raflost.is
- Iceland Academy of the Arts – www.lhi.is
- Reykjavik News – http://www.grapevine.is
- Bus info – http://www.straeto.is
- Reykjavik Webcamera – http://www.or.is/UmOR/Vefmyndavel/
- Slátur – www.slatur.is
- Lorna – www.pikslaverk.org
- Iceland Academy of the Arts: +354 5524000
- Áki Ásgeirsson: +354 6619731
- Ríkharður Friðriksson: +354 8646382
- Emergency: 112